This stuﬀ is really important.
Does anyone actually read those thousand page privacy policies? Not many. So we’ve decided to make a MUCH shorter version, in plain simple language that will explain everything. But won’t take years…
Who are SafeToNet?
We are a company that provides technology to try and keep you safe when you’re online, using apps, and generally using your mobile device to connect and communicate with people.
What type of data do we collect from you?
Your parents give us the following:
- Your name (so your parents know it’s you)
- Your gender (so the software can understand you better)
- Country of residence (so that we can comply with law)
- Date of birth (so the software can understand you better)
Other than this, the data collected from you is either given to us by you directly or made by your mobile device and collected by us. The information collected through your phone is only ever obtained with permission from you or your parent. If you are aged 13 or over, you will be able to provide us with permission to use this information. If you are under 13 years old, your parent will be able to give their permission for us to use this information.
You and your parent can choose which of the features to include on your phone or tablet. You can remove the SafeToNet app at any time by deleting it or by contacting us using the details below. Just so you know, when the application is deleted from your device, your parent will get a notification to let them know. The features include:
On your parent’s phone they can see which apps you’ve got and they can choose the apps that they want to enable on your device. They cannot open your apps and they cannot see any of your chats, images and stuﬀ.
Your parent can choose to set a time on certain days when you can’t use your device. But fear not. You will be told how long it will last for.
If your parent decides to disable your phone or tablet, it will lock and you’ll be alerted to what’s happened. In case of an emergency, you can call your parent or the emergency services.
Your parent can choose to filter websites on your device based on your age and a specific list set by them. You’ll be shown a message when you go onto a website that has been filtered.
FEAR NOT! Your parent will NEVER see ANY of your images without your permission.
The SafeToNet app detects images including pornography or underwear and moves them to a special gallery and replaces the original with the SafeToNet icon.
If you think one of your images shouldn’t be hidden you can choose to ‘flag it’ meaning you can review it with your parent to either remove it from review or put it back into your device’s gallery.
Just to be sure, you choose the images that your parent can review. They can’t see any of the other images you have without your permission.
IMPORTANT PART! Any image that SafeToNet has quarantined and put into your gallery review will be deleted if you uninstall the SafeToNet app. If you want to remove the SafeToNet app, check your gallery review first just in case you want to recover any images.
If you try and send a message the software thinks is inappropriate, it will delete the message and you will receive a notification as to why it was deleted. Your parent will not see the message. If you try to send more than 10 cheeky texts in 24 hours…your parents will be alerted as to what’s happened but NEVER shown the text.
Other important stuff about you
The SafeToNet app might collect some sensitive information. For instance, words in messages that relate to sex, religion, health or ethnic origin. As we say above we do our best to limit what we collect and who sees it. You are in control of that.
You can ask us to stop collecting your data whenever you like by contacting us on the details below. But if you do, the SafeToNet application probably won’t work properly.
How do we use data?
- We mostly use your data to provide the SafeToNet service to you. But we might also use it to improve SafeToNet.
- We only ever ask for information that we really need to know, and then only to make you safer.
- We don’t hide anything from you and if you don’t want us to have your data, you can ask us to delete it at any time using the details below.
- We fully understand and respect your privacy and will always protect your data.
Who will we share your data with?
We might share your data with people who help us run SafeToNet. We might also have to give information to official people like regulators.
Where we let others use your data we make sure they protect it in the same way that we do.
Sending data to other countries
We might need to send your data to other countries to be able to provide the SafeToNet services. Where we do this, we make sure that your data is given the same protection as it is the UK, when it travels to that new country and when it gets there.
How long do we keep your data for?
We only keep your data for as long as we need it and in accordance with laws.
Will my data be safe?
We will protect your data as much as we can against it being lost, damaged or stolen. We have special software to protect your data and we have given the people who work at SafeToNet lots of training to make sure they know how to protect it too.
You have lots of rights when it comes to how other people use your data. These include:
- You have a right to have further information on how your data is used and see what data is being used.
- You have a right to ask us to stop using your data but sometimes we might still be allowed to use your data. But remember, you can switch off SafeToNet at any time.
- You have a right to get back data you gave us.
- You have a right to tell us if your information is wrong or incomplete and then we must correct it.
- You have a right to ask us to delete or stop using your data but there will be some data that we are allowed to keep
- You have a right to not to have a computer make decisions about you without a human helping to make the decisions.
- You can complain about how we have used your data.
If you want to use any of your rights listed above, please contact us using the details below and we will make sure that your rights are protected. If you are under 13 your parent will need to do this for you.
Want to know more?
We are here 24/7… yeah we don’t have lives.
Any question about SafeToNet, big or small we want to help.